Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Let's Talk Mommy


So being a first time Mommy has brought many changes to my life. Some expected and some very unexpected. I have always been a person who is very organized in some things and very unorganized in others. I have been known to procrastinate, especially on those term papers during my college days, and running 15 minutes late meant it was a good day. I have always loved "to do" lists, my favorite part being the moment I could strike a line through the chore, thus signaling a new accomplishment. However, me saying that the birth of my son Nathan, has brought change to my life is a huge understatement.

Earning my B.S. in Child Development from Cal Poly required me to learn about the development of children and keep up with the ever growing changes in developmental theories, philosophies of child rearing, teaching practices and so much more. I felt that I was always learning something new and that all my education would prepare me for the day that I became a mommy myself. Was I wrong! While it has of course been so beneficial to me as a parent, nothing could have really prepared me for Mommyhood . . . well except Mommyhood.

It has been such a blessing and the greatest job I have ever had. It has also come with the greatest risks and the biggest rewards. To know that I (well, and my husband Sam too) am responsible for another human beings life, care taking and well being is still so unbelievable. My little guy relies on us for everything right now. Food, warmth, shelter, playtime, naptime, safety and LOVE. UNBELIEVABLE! And thanks to Sam, I get to stay home with my son each day tending to his needs and relishing in each moment as he grows. Did I mention what a blessing it has all been?

So, in the midst of all of this introduction to Mommyhood, I have done more research in the past 13 months than I did in my four years of college! I have looked into everything from slings to vaccines and I still can't get enough! Everytime I turn around there is another decision to be made, a new baby gadget devised, or another article to read. Sound familiar to anyone? So I thought I'd start blogging about the endless research, great finds, unforgettable moments, and the constant changes we endure in Mommyhood. If anything, it will be my mommy diary. . . so let's talk mommy.

No comments: