Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Is Natural Always Safest?


So although we are currently in a plunging economy that is in desperate need of help, we have recenly been programmed to buy into the whole idea of "Organic." Even though organic products cost more, we are assured that they are more than worth the extra cost because our physical and mental health are at risk. There is everything from organic food to organic hand sanitizer. And I am the frist to admit that I have bought into this whole heartedly. Afterall, it's only the best for my son, right?

We have organic foods, shampoo, bibs, hand sanitizer, blankets and more. I guess I feel that Nathan has come into this world so pure that I don't want to taint him with anything. I have been so broadsided by the idea of "organic" that I had it wrapped up in the same package with "natural." If it's made from natural ingredients it must be safe, right? Well today I was given a new perspective and now I'm not so sure. I believed the difference between organic and natural ingredients to be that Organic is derived from products that are not treated with pesticides or hormones and natural refers to products created from materials and elements found in mothernature. Similar, but not the same.

Anyway, I have been so cautious about what I introduce Nathan's body, particularly vaccines (I will get into this more later). I have not wanted to medicate him with even the smallest amount of Tylenol. I am so afraid that his tiny body will get used to medication and become immune to it not to mention any potential harm it may do to him as well. But with Nathan teething these last few weeks I went in search of something to provide him some relief and comfort.

First I tried pacifiers and teethers. He really didn't like either and especially not chilled. Then I tried massaging his gums . . . bad idea. His gums are tender and aching and the last thing he wants is me putting more pressure on them! Ooops. So I looked at Baby Orajel, but I didn't feel good about using a numbing agent like Benzocaine. So after a quick "Google Search" for all natural teething relief I discovered several brands of all natural teething tablets. One was lactose free the other not. One dissolved under the tongue and the other had to be dilluted and then rubbed on. I thought I was in luck.

However, after a visit to our pediatrician, whom I just love by the way, she mentioned how surprised she was that I was using these homeopatic teething tablets. She said she was so surprised considering how cautious I am. As soon as she said those words to me I knew exactly what she was referring to - Belladonna, an ingredient in these natural teething tablets. So home to research I went.

This information is among my findings: Belladonna is herb that has been used for centuries for a variety of indications, including headache, menstrual symptoms, peptic ulcer disease, inflammation, and motion sickness. Belladonna is known to contain active agents with anticholinergic properties, such as the tropane alkaloids atropine, hyoscine (scopolamine), and hyoscyamine. While there is currently insufficient scientific evidence regarding the use of belladonna for this or any other indication. Common adverse effects include dry mouth, urinary retention, flushing, pupillary dilation, constipation, confusion, and delirium. Many of these effects may occur at therapeutic doses.

In children, death can be caused by a small amount of belladonna. Several reports of accidental belladonna overdose and death are reported. Belladonna overdose can also occur when it is applied to the skin. Belladonna overdose is highly dangerous and should be treated by qualified medical professionals. Because belladonna can slow the movement of food and drugs through the stomach and gut, the side effects may go on long after the belladonna is swallowed.

So after discussing this issue with Sam we decided to get rid of the teething tablets and give baby orajel a try. And while I know people who swear by these teething tablets and their children are as healthy as can be, they just aren't for us. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

(For more information on Belladonna go to http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-belladonna.html)

No comments: